Hello Followers!

Hello Followers!

For those of you who don't know, I will be leaving the United States for a six month paid internship in South Korea. I will be teaching English at an after school program at an Elementary School five days a week. My students do not speak English and I for sure will not be fluent in Korean, so this will be quite a learning experience for everyone involved. I will be departing February 4, 2012 and will return at the end of July. I hope many of you follow my blog to see what I'm up to overseas :)

- Ashley Schwartz

Friday, April 6, 2012

Seafood by the Seashore

Monday, April 2nd

 Mihee and I went to dinner at a seafood restaurant by Bukbu Beach. She warned me that the food was really "weird" there, but honestly most of the food I eat in Korea is "weird" so I was like 'alright, cool; it'll be like every other meal I eat here'. First we walked along the beach, but it was pretty windy today so we decided to cut our walk short and we went into the restaurant. Mihee ordered everything in Korean while I nodded (pretending to know what was being said)- and the waiter smiled and walked away.

 He returned with a plate full of octopus tentacles (that were still moving around by the way) with a side of radish and cucumbers, spicy ramyeon, and a huge plate of clams! It freaked me out that the octopus tentacles were still squirming around and Mihee had a good laugh watching my face as I picked one up with my chopsticks. She told me that's how you know if it's fresh (by whether it's still moving or not). And it was definitely fresh- it reminded me of Halloween or something. Don't get me wrong, it tasted great, but the fact that it moved in my mouth was SO strange. I don't like wrestling my food with my tongue before I eat it- so Mihee told me to wait ten minutes or so and they would stop moving (and they did. . eventually). Our waiter came back over and cooked us our clams right at our table! And even though I'm not the biggest fan of seafood, everything there was fantastic! (probably because it was all really fresh). The Ramyeon was super spicy, but also good; there was a crab, one jumbo shrimp and a few octopus tentacles in it. . . Koreans seriously love eating octopus- they told me it's good for my skin.

It's pretty much impossible to be a picky eater and live in Korea. The food is way different than what I'm used to, but it tastes soooo good! I normally don't even question what I'm eating anymore- sometimes it's better not to ask- so I just try EVERYTHING, whether it's moving still or not, lol.

Mihee takes me to some of the best restaurants! She grew up in Wolpo, so she knows all the good places to eat. I'm so lucky to have someone like her to show me around. She's the greatest!


Cooking our clams :) yummmm


So many clams . . .


This was the plate of octopus. You can't tell they're moving- but they were. 


The plate of clams the waiter brought out to us.


Spicy Ramyeon with shrimp, octopus and a crab in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment