Hello Followers!

Hello Followers!

For those of you who don't know, I will be leaving the United States for a six month paid internship in South Korea. I will be teaching English at an after school program at an Elementary School five days a week. My students do not speak English and I for sure will not be fluent in Korean, so this will be quite a learning experience for everyone involved. I will be departing February 4, 2012 and will return at the end of July. I hope many of you follow my blog to see what I'm up to overseas :)

- Ashley Schwartz

Monday, April 9, 2012

Giant Shoes

In Korean schools you have to wear a different set of shoes while you're in the building (everyone has to- both teachers and students). It's a part of the culture here to take your shoes off before entering someone's home or another building- to do any less is a sign of great disrespect- and entering a school is no exception. I asked my Korean professor back home why people in Korea do that? She told me it was for cleanliness purposes. Koreans have a special relationship with their floor, on which they sit and often sleep; so to have a dirty floor is intolerable.

I was given a pair of shoes to wear at school- which are about four sizes too big. I finally asked the teachers at school if it would be okay to purchase my own school shoes and they said that was fine. So, soon enough I'll be wearing shoes that actually fit me and maybe I won't trip going up the stair quite as often . . . probably not though. 


The soon-to-be retired school (clown)shoes that I wear everyday. 



No comments:

Post a Comment