Hello Followers!

Hello Followers!

For those of you who don't know, I will be leaving the United States for a six month paid internship in South Korea. I will be teaching English at an after school program at an Elementary School five days a week. My students do not speak English and I for sure will not be fluent in Korean, so this will be quite a learning experience for everyone involved. I will be departing February 4, 2012 and will return at the end of July. I hope many of you follow my blog to see what I'm up to overseas :)

- Ashley Schwartz

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Happy Easter!

I decided to do an Easter lesson last week for my students and they LOVED it! Granted they were probably more excited about eating candy and coloring Easter Eggs than actually learning about the Holiday, but all in all it was a pretty epic week. I wasn't able to hard boil 60 eggs for all of my students, so only one class got to color actual eggs. The rest of my classes made paper eggs (which they were equally happy with). 

I was really surprised that NONE of my students knew what Easter was. I thought that they would know a little bit about it, but when I asked them they didn't know what I was talking about. So I was really excited to be the first person to introduce this Holiday to them. Most of the kids at my school are not religious, so that's probably why they didn't know anything about Easter (which also surprised me because before I came to Korea I read that the dominant religion here is Christianity- but I'm thinking that living in such a rural part of Korea might have something to do with it. .  I don't really know though). I didn't focus on the religious aspect of Easter (although I did tell them that it was a Christian Holiday) but instead I wanted to teach them about the activities I do on Easter. Such as painting Easter Eggs! (such a crowd pleaser),what people wear on Easter Sunday, when it is, and most importantly who you spend Easter with- family. Here are a few photos that I took from last weeks lessons:


This is my Friday Drama Class coloring their Easter Eggs. I have students from third to sixth grade in this class.


In my Drama Class, I also had them make paper Easter baskets; they turned out really cute!


These are the girls in my fourth grade classroom. They're the only class that got to color actual eggs. We made mini Easter baskets out of dixie cups and pipe cleaners.


Showin' off the Easter baskets they made.


The eggs my fourth grade girls decorated.


Here's a quick video of the Easter Egg hunt with my 3~6th grade Drama Class

No comments:

Post a Comment