Hello Followers!

Hello Followers!

For those of you who don't know, I will be leaving the United States for a six month paid internship in South Korea. I will be teaching English at an after school program at an Elementary School five days a week. My students do not speak English and I for sure will not be fluent in Korean, so this will be quite a learning experience for everyone involved. I will be departing February 4, 2012 and will return at the end of July. I hope many of you follow my blog to see what I'm up to overseas :)

- Ashley Schwartz

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

My Thoughts on Classroom Management


Just a quick thought: classroom management. Such an important concept and probably what most teachers stress out about. For myself, trying to figure out how to go about perfecting it has been a challenge to say the least. It’s necessary, that's for sure- especially when your whole class speaks a different language than you do, has the attention span of a gold fish, the energy of a lighting bolt, the creativity of a mad scientist and the curiosity of, well, a child- all under the age of 10. BOOM. So obviously classroom management is a very necessary part of teaching. Discovering my own style of going about it has been a very exciting journey.

In my classroom, I have no real punishment system in place. I don’t make my students hold a chair above their head, stay late after class, or make them do extra homework. Similarly, I don’t have any big reward systems either- no big pizza party at the end of the semester for the most well-behaved class, no giant sticker charts or fancy bar graphs. And this is why. . .

Sometimes students need motivation- and when it stems from within themselves, that’s when they’re most productive, attentive and genuinely interested. So, everyday, (not just on my open class day) I make my class so fun, so exciting, so crazy and loud that the worst punishment is to be excluded from the activity.

Crazy concept? Not really. 


I made Flip Cup into an awesome review game! The first person in line flips their cup over, runs to their numbered flash card, then runs to me and has to make a full sentence with the image on the flash card. Third and fourth grade did sentences with food, and fifth and sixth grade did sentences with activities to do over the weekend (swim, play soccer, study English, etc.) My students did get a little competitive though, haha, but overall a great game!

No comments:

Post a Comment