Hello Followers!

Hello Followers!

For those of you who don't know, I will be leaving the United States for a six month paid internship in South Korea. I will be teaching English at an after school program at an Elementary School five days a week. My students do not speak English and I for sure will not be fluent in Korean, so this will be quite a learning experience for everyone involved. I will be departing February 4, 2012 and will return at the end of July. I hope many of you follow my blog to see what I'm up to overseas :)

- Ashley Schwartz

Monday, February 13, 2012

International Love

I've learned so many new things in the short amount of time that I've been here. This is a brief overview of what I've seen, done, and learned so far! Enjoy.

Korea is a fast-pasted country. Everyone is either doing something, on their way to do something, or pretending they’re doing something.

Korean people have no concept of personal space. They like to be 2 inches from your face when they’re talking to you, and touching your face/hair/hand/etc. is not out of the ordinary.

Seoul is beautiful. Even though it was about -7 C when I was there, the city was amazing! It’s a strange mixture of old school buildings and new buildings. It isn’t unusual to see an old temple next to a skyscraper. My group and I did a scavenger hunt throughout Seoul and the experience was pretty epic despite the cold weather.



Koreans love to drink! So-Ju is probably one of the first Korean words I learned. True story.


When Koreans shake hands you MUST shake with both hands or it is considered extremely rude. (Good thing to know when I meet the principal and vice principal of my school).

I had coffee with the parents of Miss Korea in Jochiwon. They waved our group into their store and made us coffee and gave us chocolate! Korean hospitality at its finest.


My classes at orientation so far have all been wonderful! So much better than taking classes at Eastern (sorry EMU).

The area of Korea is about 100,000 km2 with a population of 50 million people! To put it into prospective for you Americans, that like taking the population of Texas and California combined and putting them into the state of Indiana. . . Mind. Blown. Oh, and have 70% of the state be mountains. Crazy?- I think so.

If you’re in a public bathroom and someone knocks on the door to your stall, KNOCK BACK! I actually kind of like it better this way; I think it’s much less awkward than saying “yeah?” or “someone’s in here”.

My province (where I’ll be placed) in Korea is called Gyeongbuk, my city is 포항(Pohang) and my Elementary School is 월포(Wolpo). East Coast. Beaches. Stoked.

Tae kwon do is very popular here considering it’s the country’s national sport. Tae meaning “kick”, kwon meaning “punch” and do meaning “art”. I actually got to take a class here at orientation! . . I was really sore the next day. . and the day after that.



I’ve met people from all over the world! Seven different English speaking nations to be exact- United States, Canada (eh?), Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, England, and South Africa. This is something you don’t just experience everyday; I talk to people from around the world on a regular basis and that, to me, is pretty awesome. You learn something new everyday.

Kangaroos in Australia are basically the equivalent to deer in Michigan. One guy told me that it’s pretty dangerous to drive in certain parts of Australia because Kangaroos will run into cars and kill people.

I had a guy from South Africa tell me that the girls in America are totally different from the girls in South Africa. When I asked how we were different he said that American girls were more “loud” and opinionated (naturally), whereas girls in South Africa were more quiet and generally “don’t curse” (his words exactly). I think he was pretty fascinated by our group of girls from Eastern- it was funny.

One word. Noraebang, which translates into “song room”. This is basically karaoke on steroids. Korean people are obsessed and it’s actually really fun. A group of us from orientation went out one night and we had a blast! It helps to bring along someone who knows Korean, but we managed to communicate with hand gestures and Bianca’s handy dandy Korean dictionary. So what you do is rent out a room, you pick a song from one of the books (there were songs in English, Japanese and Korean) and you sing it! You can also get drinks delivered to your room, and you pay by the hour. Our group did it for about 2 hours and it only cost us 25,000 won ($25). So, if you don’t have a lot of money and still want to have a good time, go to a Noraebang, you won’t be disappointed.


Koreans LOVE soccer! Excellent news for me since I’m missing all of my soccer practices back at home.

When you walk into a Korean house (or your dorm room) TAKE YOUR SHOES OFF! It took me a while to get into the habit of doing this.

Some bathrooms here have “squatters”. If you don’t know what this is, Google it, it’s weird.

Jjimjilbangs are Korean bathhouses. Slightly awkward at first, but it’s something you have to try at least once; it was quite an experience. Here's a picture of the one I stayed at (people told me it's the nicest one in Seoul):



Ahjummas (little old Korean women) have no problem pushing or shoving you out of the way. They’re like 4 feet tall, but they are feisty!





No comments:

Post a Comment